Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I Really Want To Take The Camera Everywhere

I carry the camera everywhere. That camera is currently a Nikon D5100. I love it.

But when I'm with friends I would really like a smaller camera to carry around. Something I can put in a small camera bag when we're inside or eating, etc.

I'm not going to give up the camera just because I'm out with friends. They know me and they know I'm a photographer and they seem to like the idea there is someone in the group that actually knows how to take photos.

They also know that when we're out walking about somewhere that much of my attention is on the place and not them. Sometimes I think they assign someone to watch out for John. He just may walk off and get lost. I'm not lost I just can't find anyone.

So if I could carry a smaller camera that would make me look less the official photographer and more a part of the group that would be great. Everyone knows I'm not going to leave the camera at home or hide the camera in a bag. So it needs to be kinda' small like a point-and-shoot but have the characteristics of a larger DSLR. Recently there have been a whole new group of small, high quality cameras come on the market.

They all have interchange lenses, good quality sensors, eye-level viewfinders, and no reflex mirrors to direct the image to the viewfinder. What you now see in the viewfinder is a very small LCD screen. Just getting rid of the reflex viewfinder system reduces the size, weight, and cost of the camera. It also brings the camera into the 21st century.

For a round-up of the current crop of mirror-less cameras check out this link to DPReview. Remember that some of these mirror-less cameras have no eye-level viewfinder. I require an eye-level viewfinder so this narrows the field quite a bit. In 2012 I expect to see many more eye-level viewfinder mirrorless cameras come on the market.

So what camera has caught the attention of this photographer? That would be the Nikon 1 V1. Not an inexpensive camera. $900.00 list. Discounted price $850.00. I payed less than that for my Nikon D5100. If I want one I'm going to have to start saving right now. Well really in January 2012. Who saves in any December?

I'm also hoping that Nikon fixes some of the more troubling aspects of the camera. For an interesting field test and review go over to Brad Hill's web site and examine his test and review of the Nikon 1 V1. It's an-going test and more will come early next year. What I find interesting is his "MUST" list for a walk-around camera.

I like his idea of calling it a Walk-Around camera. So that's what it will be. My next camera will be my Walk-Around camera. And currently that's the Nikon 1 V1 and I'm hoping that in six months when I get one some of the bugs will be fixed. Again read Brad Hill's review of the Nikon 1 V1.

About the photo: It was taken at the Mission Inn in Riverside, CA. Take the kids there. It's an interesting hotel and it's all decked out for Christmas.

Original contents copyright 2011 by John S. Krill and/or the by lined author. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment