Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It's Called Evolution

The form of photography that I would like to practice is called: photojournalism, or photoreportage, or documentary photography, or photo illustration. Though I'm not sure what photo illustration is.

So is photojournalism dead? Not by me. I see it everyday in the Los Angeles Times, my local regional newspaper.

It's not dead it's just evolving using different methods for distribution, mainly the Web. If we as photographers cannot adopt then we die. Yes funding is a big problem but the plus of lack of money is a freedom to do your own work and not what the owners of the large old school newspapers and magazines want. Yes it's difficult but the rewards are great.

Here are three articles on the state of photojournalism and documentary photography. I suggest you read them in the order presented.
Original contents copyright 2011 by John S. Krill and/or the by lined author. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment